Friday, March 7, 2014

Stop the Train!

Now I realize what people mean when something is a blessing and a curse. This past Monday, we woke to a thin sheet of ice powdered with snow covering the deck and a lawn of crunchy, frozen grass. I kept my sweet Bitty with me after my day at work was cancelled, and I let him sleep in as I did some much-needed laundry.

When I went in to wake him, I told him there was snow outside. He hopped out of his toddler bed, shuffled to the window, and immediately noted, "It is wintertime on the island of Sodor."

Thus began my excursion to the smog-covered island-state. Over the course of the day, we played trains on tracks, in water, in flour, and outside (for a whopping three minutes). At nap time, he gave me a hug and called me his "little train," which I'm sure is his highest praise.

The funniest part of the evening, however, was putting him to bed. After a recent potty training breakthrough, he received some vinyl wall stickers shaped like Sodor's engines. He wanted to give his trains a hug at the end of the day, and I agreed, thinking that he meant his Pillow Pet or his die cast vehicles. But no, he hit the wall, eyes closed and smiling, splayed like a perp who just met an overzealous cop. After the stickers got kisses, as well (and all the stickers- he cannot be accused of favoritism like that Sir Topham Hat), he quit stalling and and got to sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment