He had fun running his trains and his snowmobile through the flour. The snowmobile was in its element and saving the trains, since they all hate their snowplows. Eventually Little Bit looked like he was breaded and about to be fried, with even his forehead covered in flour.
After his bath, I took the flour that remained on the sheet, added a bit more, and made an easy salt dough. I found a recipe from Rainy Day Mum that uses the microwave to dry- and it works!
http://rainydaymum.co.uk/the-quickest-ever-salt-dough-recipe
I made some rustic heart ornaments, using a butter knife to cut and shape the edges. A pencil made the holes at the top; one got a little smaller in the microwave.
I would have allowed the ornaments an additional twenty-four hours to dry, but they got a much longer drying period in my craft room with our busy schedule. When I had a chance to get back to them, I gave each piece a coat of red paint, then had some fun with different techniques and finishes.
The hearts got a blue print with painted bubble wrap, grey in the "inset" heart, some mod podge, and a polyurethane spray finish to add shine and remove the mod podge tackiness.
The snail shell got some grey and gold splotches before I gave it a thin coat of blue. I really like how the colors show through for a mottled look.

No comments:
Post a Comment