Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

On Halloweens past, my only worry was running out of candy. One year, I made elaborate (not Pinterest-worthy, but good for me) gift bags for the kids coming to the door, and last year I proudly paraded my little dinosaur around in his stroller while he dozed.  

Celebrating Halloween is still worry-free when contrasted with the Fall and Winter holidays coming. I got home before my boys and put the large mixed bag of candy into snack size bags. I was sure to put a good piece of candy in with a couple of pieces of "filler" candy, and the first thirty or so bags got a few stickers until they ran out. I thought this would be an efficient way to make sure we didn't run out and keep things moving so that Little Bit could enjoy the kids and the costumes that came to the door. Little Bit and Daddy came home, and I dressed him in his shirt, crocheted aviator hat, and scarf. Things deteriorated pretty quickly from there. 

Tweet: "Decided last min to be a hooligan."


I attempted to take a picture of Bitty with my iPhone, which started a tantrum as he reached in vain for Netflix and Angry Birds. I gave him the phone instead of holding the line because, like any good mother, I did not want him to be blotchy and puffy in his Halloween pictures. So I snapped a few good shots while the husband was getting the dog leashed for the crowds to come. 

Then we tried to take some shots with Daddy, but without the iPhone. Not a chance. 

We ventured outside, all of us and the dog, and we had our one successful trick o'treat at our neighbors' house. Bitty loved their glowing pumpkins and had fun talking to them, but still wanted to go explore in the fading light. So we set off for the next house, with recent neighbors we had not met, while the husband went to man our door. As Bitty and I made our ill-fated trek, our dog got increasingly agitated by all the traffic until we had to kennel her. So she barked incessantly until we released her after dinner. 

At the next house we met a very nice couple with a golden retriever. A bit of a chat and Little Bit decided to stay awhile. He was livid that Halloween was not a street-wide open house and began to lay down in passive resistance between their rows of monkey grass after we said "goodbye." I scooped him up and hustled my kicking, wailing little goblin back to the house for some spaghetti. But only spaghetti and "Yo, Gabba Gabba" would do. 

Bless you, DJ Lance. You were by far my favorite costume tonight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment