I still love my knitting loom, but I've been doing some gift projects lately that I'm not able to post. I don't know if the intended recipients would be excited about that or wince at the thought of another handmade something coming their way. It may depend on whether or not it's one of my better mediums. My dad has been really nice about receiving paintings despite my lack of what some would call "talent."
But back to my knitting loom, where my tension stays even and the ombre yarns come out looking great even when the skein is less than inspiring. I received a multicolored ball of worsted yarn from my mother, and although I was skeptical, I paired it with a solid black worsted and was pleased with the results.
In my search for an ear warmer pattern, I found a baby headband tutorial from Caring Caps, Inc. I have had great luck with her patterns in the past, and this was no exception. I increased the number of pegs used to ten and extended the pattern to 20 inches before finishing it. She explains the purl on the loom very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2mgnLUHeM
I got a cleaner seam by first looping the first stitches back over the pegs, then executing a yarn-over to get the ends together. I then crocheted the piece off the loom as I would a flat panel and wove the ends back through the piece.
And with the leftover yarn, I made a tiny Christmas ornament with my flower loom!
I also came across an article that I thought was illustrative of the active, creative communities doing tutorials on the internet. It was neat to read about teens and tweens presenting helpful videos to aid others in their shared hobby. Tech isn't all bad!
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/12/rainbow_loom_is_the_biggest_tween_fad_of_2013_but_can_an_adult_woman_execute.html
Now back to it!

No comments:
Post a Comment