Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Winding thru Winter Slowly

Yesterday I had a wonderful lunch downtown with a good friend that I don't see nearly enough. Afterward, since I had to pick up my husband and go pick up his car in almost two hours, I went to the public library and checked out Anne Lamott's book "Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope, and Repair." I knew nothing about it except that it was in the new nonfiction and short.  I hoped to begin and finish it before my husband called. 

It was a great way to spend the afternoon, especially since I was beginning to lament the lack of work I was going to be able to do at home that day. The book is about loss and the senseless sadness that life throws our way, but I also found myself inspired to live in the moment and enjoy life's unexpected joys. To appreciate the things that first seem mundane, but only because I'm lucky.   

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pageviews/2013/10/anne-lamott-on-new-book-stitches-twitter-and-learning-how-to-mend

Today I tried to start the day industriously when I discovered some crumbs in the floor and got out my little floor vac. However, I soon found myself chasing my giggling toddler around, avoiding his crayons and getting nothing done. It was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment