Saturday, October 26, 2013

Finding Fall: Make Your Own Spirit

I highly suggest cutting felt while listing to a Pandora station based on the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It adds a level of excitement to the task.

Bitty and I walked around Green Hills Mall on Thursday. Although we had plenty of time to ride escalators, apparently there was no time to go into the pop-up Crate & Barrel on the second floor, shimmering with Christmas ornaments and hard candy.

So, today I was compelled to make my own ornaments. Bitty knew I'd rather do that anyway.

Felt is the non-crafty crafter's best friend. As I went through my sheets, I was reminded of all the projects I still have in my queue. I had some extra that had already been snipped around the edges, so I decided to make owl ornaments.

Cutting was fast with a cute template. I folded the felt and cut through on both levels.


I modified the template I found at the blog below, which has tons of wonderful ideas: http://classroomcompulsion.blogspot.com/2012/03/owls-owls-everywhere.html 

A running stitch kept the beak and wings in place, and some primitive embroidery added expression to the eyes.

All that's left is a whip-stitch around the edges and some stuffing!

Next project will be a pancake stack for Little Bit's Christmas present, with camel felt accented with dark brown syrup and some yellow felt butter. There are so many things to be made out of this stuff - crayon rolls, Thanksgiving turkeys, play food, play purses- and there's still time before the holidays are here!

But I'm an amateur when it comes to play felt bananas, so I found a great one at this Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SweetPotatoStitches







No comments:

Post a Comment