Monday, January 13, 2014

Winding thru Winter: Cacti and bright times

After a tough week, my parents came to get Bitty so my husband and I could celebrate our anniversary on Saturday. I knew he'd be having fun, but I didn't know I'd be getting midday pictures of him playing in the mud! Needless to say, he had a great time. 

We did, too. Our first stop was Wendell's on Charlotte. Inexplicably, it was our first visit there. The fact was obvious to everyone there as we walked in and stopped, and a waitress invited us to have a seat from across the room. We were instantly labeled as newbies, but the omelet, great home fries, and good, free-flowing coffee swept away any initial unease. 

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/wendell-smiths/Location?oid=1206367

Some shopping and driving around, then home to relax before dinner. I took the opportunity to complete my new favorite looming project. 

Looking forward to sunny times ahead!

I knitted a ball on my blue knitting loom with a two over one e-wrap method. The ball is twenty rows, with the last few rows knit in a simple one over one e-wrap. I have found that reducing the yarn at the end produces a smoother finish.  

http://www.ehow.com/how_4692508_ewrap-knifty-knitter-loom.html

The Caron yarns in soft green and sunshine look so natural, so perfect for this project. 

I cinched up the top and stuffed the ball, then pulled it together and tied the bottom. I spread glue around the bottom and side of the flower pot. Then I attached another piece of yarn to the bottom of the ball and draped that piece of yarn inside against the adhesive. To keep that yarn in place and provide a base for the cactus, I stuffed plastic grocery bags tightly into the pot. 

I finished the look with grey eco-felt cut and spread around the cactus. I like the simple look, but rocks or little desert animal figures could be added to the pot, and the pot could be decoratively painted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment