Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Thinking ahead

As I watch Bitty sprawled out on the couch, feet in the air and chewing on his sippy cup, I sometimes wish I could freeze him in time. I also feel that way when I think about high school; surely we can come up with a nicer place to educate kids before my little fella hits fourteen. Talk about a gauntlet!

And apparently, some evidence suggests that it lasts longer than four years:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/01/25/high_school_forever_thanks_for_the_memories_adolescence.html

"Distorted reality," jockeying for position, "the giant box of strangers." The article, critiquing a longer work from New York Magazine, is interesting.

Being from a small town, I don't know if I just wasn't aware of all the groups I could have joined and enjoyed during my adolescence (like goth with steampunk accessories), or if some children are now choosing to reject labels. The articles don't seem to cover all the characteristics now shown by high school students, even the small sample I see coming through the courts. I hope that as adults are increasingly rejecting labels- as in politics, for example- the next generations follow suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment