My husband told me about this article from Slate, about getting a dog before you have children.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/07/kids_and_dogs_if_you_re_having_a_baby_do_not_get_a_puppy.html
The author warns against it, because you won't "love him like a dog should be loved." Her point of view is interesting, but I have to agree to disagree with her. (My husband, however, stands ready to drown the cats at any time.)
Little Bit's first year was hard on them, but now that he is close to three, he is getting to know the pets and interacting with them. He uses Kit Kat as a pillow, and he laughs as our dog, Friday, follows him when he's got food. The dog kisses him some mornings, and he declares that "it tickles!" One day I even caught him making faces at Nacho as she stared back at him. He affirmed that he was trying to make her laugh.
Here's the thing: no pet was our baby. Nacho was a cool roommate who kept to herself- she was two when she came to live with us. Kit Kat was eight weeks old and perhaps could have been our baby, but she liked Nacho best.
And Friday had to deal with two pet siblings when she arrived! They all have their spots on the couch and love to be brushed down and petted daily, but I appreciate how we've successfully learned to share our habitat. Now Bitty helps brush them and gives them treats. His interactions with them enhance the way I feel about the pets.
For example: I never loved the dog more than a day when Bitty was throwing a classic fit at dinner. He felt he didn't have enough trains to play with, and my husband and I weren't going to go for more. So Bitty threw his bread on the floor, where Friday stands guard for falling scraps. Thinking, "Jackpot!" she scooped up the bread and carried it to her kennel. Bitty started laughing and said, "Silly puppy."
Nice save, dog!
No comments:
Post a Comment